April Art Attack! Artist Profile: Rebecca GaffneyApril 28, 2009
1. What is your definition of art?
expression of honest emotion entertainment fun!
2. What medium do you use?
photog, video, music, drawing, painting – anything, any combination of
3. What is your art about?
being alive, interaction with other humans and the world around us..and awe
4. How would you describe your artwork?
5. How has your artistic practice changed since you first began making art?
the experience somehow how gets deeper and lighter at the same time:)
6. What influences your art?
brooklyn, counterculture, travel all over the world
7. Who are your favorite artists?
egon shiele, paperrad, tamara gonzales, secret project robot, porkchop’s stuff, conrad from black label, swoon, etc.
8. What is your favorite artwork by another artist?
there isn’t one but i did enjoy seeing the brucke exhibit at neue museum recently, william eccleston at the whitney, chief mag. show at the arm gallery, brooklyn, last summer, and swoon’s boat trip from coatia to venice that they are currently in the process of.
9. How do you title your work?
mostly untitled or sometimes where it took place
10. Do you have formal training?
yes but mostly i had to unlearn it all and start over. i was too traumatized after art school to do art for some years:)
11. Where do you show your artwork?
brooklyn, internet, other cities, etc.
12. Describe one challenge you constantly face in your practice.
letting go of stuff and showing it to others, not hiding it in the closet or left on my hard drive somewhere
13. When are you most creative?
often after 12:30 at night. definitely not concurrently with trying to work a hectic day job
14. How do you know when an artwork is complete?
when the deadline comes to submit it! no, i just feel it.
15. What is one discovery you have made while working?
to pace myself. how necessary honesty -but not drama- is in work
16. How separate are you from your art?
mmm, kind of a combination of completely separate and completely merged
17. What is the role of the artist in society?
to provide a deeper level of experience at the same time to keep shit light and get people out of their heads, into a new perspective
18. What artistic trend are you seeing a lot of lately?
animal drawings on photo collages, pixelated binkies, etc.
19. What is your least favorite occupational hazard?
20. What is the strangest comment someone has said about your work?
“catchy!” when i told him my cussword band name (too shocking to mention here)
21. Do you consider yourself the next Michelangelo?
well, the current rebecca gaffney
22. What else do you do besides make art?
23. Are you an alcoholic?
24. What advice would you give to a young artist?
just keep going and work on being humble, and it’s a war, not a battle!
25. “My kid could do that,” has become the ultimate diss on a piece of art. Give a new one for the ages.
oh wow, that reminds me of deitch project’s love parade show from two years ago
April Art Attack! is a month-long online art festival dedicated to giving creative individuals a new platform for conversation. Organized by Gus23, the festival will bring together remarkable voices throughout the Web into one blog for one month. This collection of artistic ideas will highlight the importance of the Internet as a tool for necessary and meaningful communication.